Tofu Manchurian is a dish made with deep fried tofu in the sauce made in Indo-Chinese cuisine. Tofu Manchurian is a dish served as the snack for parties or as the appetizer on late night dinners. Tofu Manchurian is a sweet-sour recipe cooked in onion and capsicum sauce. A sprinkle of green onion makes Tofu Manchurian look delicious as well as delightful and fresh.
Sometimes we hesitate to have cottage cheese in our diet due to increase in cholesterol level in blood; in that situation, tofu is the escape to fulfill the cravings of cottage cheese. Tofu is made from soy milk by curdling it; containing more nutrients and low calories. Tofu is preferred due to its low-calorie content and high nutrients by people with less physical activity.
Tofu slightly differs in taste with that of cottage cheese but with an excellent cooking and added ingredients makes it tasty. The tofu has initially been used in culinary of China some 2000 years before in Han Dynasty; later tofu got introduced to all over the world.
Roots of tofu spread in eastern countries are found in Buddhism; as tofu is an abundant source of protein which is an essential thing for vegetarian diet according to religion. With this concept tofu spread in countries like Vietnam, Korea, and Thailand.
Later tofu spread all over the world because of its benefits and occupied the key place in many cuisines. A variety of dishes are cooked all over the world with tofu as the primary or complementary ingredient. Vegan found a good protein source in tofu and non-vegetarians got an alternative to replace meat with protein-rich tofu.
Tofu can provide us with dietary minerals like calcium, iron, and sodium also provides us with protein in high quantity and fats in low quantity.
I have deep fried the tofu, but if you wish then you can stir fry it; it can reduce the calories intake due to excess oil due to frying. Tofu cubes can also be baked with an oil wash to cook it with less oil. I have mixed red chili pepper with cornstarch to enhance the color and taste of the coating; tofu is deep fried with to give crunchiness and chewiness.
Tofu is helpful for lowering the cholesterol level, maintaining cardiovascular health, eases menopause symptoms, fights cancer, keeps bones in good health, reduces diabetes, treats kidney diseases, reduces anemia, and liver damage.
Tofu can be cooked in many combinations and culinary styles giving a delicious taste and good health. Some Indian tofu dishes are Tofu Bhurji, Tofu Kofta, Tofu Beetroot Kebab, Soya-coconut-tofu patty, stirred fried rice with stirred tofu.
Tofu can be cooked as desserts, dips, as well as puddings; some of the sweet delicacies of tofu are chocolate tofu mousse, vanilla cheesecake, French tofu sticks, chocolate tofu ice-cream, chocolate tofu brownie, tofu and cashew mayonnaise, and onion-garlic tofu dip.
Some other dishes of tofu are Lad Na, tofu salad, tofu burger, crispy tofu garlic sauce, tofu sandwich, Tofu burger, and many more. You will find my other Tofu dishes on my website and upcoming videos.
Let Us Make A List Of All Ingredients Required To Make Tofu Manchurian:
- 500 Grams Tofu
- 1 Tsp Red Chili Powder (Lal Mirch Powder)
- 2 Tbsp Corn Starch (Maka Starch)
- Edible Oil For Frying (Any Preferred Oil)
- 2 Tsp Finely Chopped Garnish (Barik Kata Hua Lehsun)
- 1 Tsp Finely Chopped Garlic (Barik Kata Hua Adrak)
- 1 Cup Chopped Onion Cubes (Bada Kata Hua Pyaz)
- 1 Cup Chopped Bell Pepper (Bada Kata Hua Shimla Mirch)
- 2-3 Julienne Green Chili (Lambi Barik Kati Hari Mirch)
- 1 Tsp Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Ketchup
- ¼ Tsp Sugar (Chini)
- 2 Tbsp Corn Starch Paste
- ½ Cup Finely Chopped Spring Onion (Hara Pyaz)
- Salt To Taste
Let Us Make Tasty Tofu Manchurian With Below Mentioned Cooking Steps:
- Take a bowl; add 500 grams of tofu, one tsp red chili powder, salt to taste, and 2 tbsp cornstarch. Gently mix; sprinkle some water and again mix nicely; keep it aside.
- Take a frying pan; add some oil to fry the marinated tofu and add the tofu to the heated oil one by one; separate from each other. Stir occasionally so that the tofu should not get burnt.
- Fry the tofu until golden brown and crisp; Keep it aside.
- Take a clean skillet pan; add two tbsp of cooking oil and let it get hot to add two tsp of finely chopped ginger, one tsp of finely chopped garlic. Sauté it for half a minute.
- Add one cup of chopped onion cut in the shape of the 1-inch cube, one cup of chopped red and green bell pepper cut in the shape of the 1-inch cube. Sauté it for a minute and add 2 to 3 juliennes of green chili and again sauté it for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add one tsp of vinegar, two tbsp of soy sauce, two tbsp of tomato ketchup, and ¼ tsp of sugar. Sauté it for a minute and add one cup of water.
- Add two tbsp of cornstarch paste; this will thicken the sauce and add fried tofu cubes. Cook it for approximately 5 minutes with stirring it occasionally.
- Add some salt to taste and mix well; add ½ cup finely chopped spring onions and mix well.
- Put the nicely cooked Tofu Manchurian in a serving bowl and garnish it with some finely chopped spring onion. Tasty, chewy Tofu Manchurian is ready to serve hot as starter snack or appetizer.
Video Recipe For The Tofu Manchurian