Kheer is one of the most popular and famous Indian delicacies. In the southern part of India, it is known as Payasam, but in the major part of India, it is called as Kheer. The name ‘Kheer’ came from ‘Ksheer’ or ‘Payasam’ from ‘Payasa.’ Ksheer or Payasa are Sanskrit words for milk.
Combination of some basic ingredients such as dry fruits, sugar or jaggery with milk forms kheer. Some variants in India are savaiya kheer, sabudana kheer, semolina kheer, wheat kheer. All these are made the only by replacing rice with other staples. Kheer is served as an offering to Indian deities out of respect and love towards them.
Kheer recipe is loved worldwide with different names such as rice porridge, in Norway, Europeans serve Kheer with varying ingredients. In some countries egg is also added, to make the custard out of kheer. Kheer is served as either desserts, dinner or as breakfast in some countries. Kheer can be served chilled or hot as per your preference.
Today we are going to make delicious Rice kheer or Rice pudding. Let’s start cooking.
List of ingredients for Kheer recipe:
- 2 Liter Milk (Dudh)
- 1/2 Cup Rice (Chaval)
- 1 Teaspoon Cardamom seeds (Elaychi)
- 1/4 Cup Almonds (Badam)
- 1/4 Cup (Roughly chopped) Pistachio (Pista)
- Cashew Nuts (Kaju)
- 6 to 7 flakes Saffron (Kesar)
- 1 Cup Sugar (Chini)
Let’s see how delicious Kheer is made:
- Take a deep vessel. Poor 2 liter of milk. Keep stirring. Boil it for 10 minutes.
- Add one teaspoon of cardamom seeds. Mix well.
- Add rinsed 1/2 cup of rice. Mix well. Simmer for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add 1/4 cup of roughly chopped almonds, 1/4 cup of roughly chopped pistachio. Keep stirring occasionally. Add roughly chopped cashew nuts. Let it boil.
- Add 6 to 7 flakes of saffron. Stir milk. Add 1 cup of sugar. Boil it for another 10 minutes.
- Tasty delicious Kheer is ready to serve. Garnish it with some roughly chopped almonds.