Jimikand Matar ki Sabji is a recipe made from yam and green peas in the gravy of tomato and onion. Jimikand also was known as Suran or Yam when made in hot spices like a meat curry can be replaced with mutton gravy. Meat lovers also sometimes get mistaken if yam gravy served in ignorance to them. Yam is veg meat for vegetarians like jackfruit.
Yam is found in the wild as well as cultivated verities where wild yam is considerably bitter. After good research, yam is a well-cultivated cash crop in India and all tropic regions on the globe. Yam is tuber fruit can grow into 10 to 15 kilograms with a very rough skin.
There is a technique to cut the yam in pieces in which you have to apply some oil on hands and knife to keep away itching. Slice the yam and then peel the skin. If you want, you can give it a boil in water and shallow fry. I have deep fried it directly without boiling.
My family doesn’t like much of whole hot spices, so I haven’t used whole spices, but you can crackle some spices in the oil along mustard seeds depending on your taste buds. This Jimikand Matar recipe is a very simple recipe which I have learned from my mother. And till serving I haven’t said to my kids to make sure them eat it considering meat and woah they didn’t find it as yam. I am very much confident you will enjoy this delicious, old recipe from my mother’s cuisine. So let us quickly check out the Jimikand Matar Ki Sabji.
Let Us Make A List Of All Ingredients Required For Jimikand Matar Ki Sabji:
- 2 Cups Yam Pieces Cut In Square (Jimikand)
- ½ Cup Green Peas (Matar)
- Oil For Frying (Any Preferred Oil)
- 1 Tsp Mustard Seeds (Sarso Dane)
- 5 to 6 Curry Leaves (Curry Patta)
- 1 Large Sized Onion (Pyaz)
- 1 Tsp Red Chili Powder (Lal Mirch Powder)
- 1 Tsp Turmeric Powder (Haldi Powder)
- 1 Tsp Coriander Powder (Dhaniya Powder)
- 1 Tsp Cumin Powder (Jeera Powder)
- 1 Tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 2 Medium Sized Tomato (Tamatar)
- Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves To Garnish (Barik Kata Hua Hara Dhaniya)
Let Me Explain You The Easy Stepwise Recipe of Jimikand Matar Ki Sabji:
- Take a pan and add some oil (any preferred oil) for frying the yam cubes; deep fry the yam cubes until it turns golden brown.
- Take out the yam cubes on a tissue paper to absorb the excess oil from it and keep it aside.
- Take another clean skillet pan and add one tsp of oil (as per your preference), let it get hot and add one tsp of mustard seeds; let the seeds crackle. Don’t let it burn or it will change the taste of the dish.
- Add 5 to 6 curry leaves, and one large finely chopped onion; sauté it till the onion turns golden brown.
- Add about one tsp of red chili powder ( you can add as per your preferences ), one tsp of turmeric powder, one tsp of coriander powder, one tsp of cumin powder. Mix well all the spices with the onion.
- Add two medium sized finely chopped red tomatoes (salad tomatoes); mix well and add ½ cup of water; sauté it till the water gets absorbed.
- Add the fried cube pieces of Yam, ½ cup of green peas; sauté it and add ½ cup of water. Mix it well. Let it simmer for 10 minutes for the lid on.
- Open the lid and add one tsp of garam masala powder; mix well. Garnish Sabji with some finely chopped fresh coriander leaves.
- Jimikand Matar Ki Sabzi is ready to serve with hot Roti, Butter Paratha, Naan or as the side dish with Dal-Chaval.