Once I saw a very stubborn thing at a grocery shop, I was amazed to know that it is a veggie called Jimikand or Yam so I bought it and showed to my mother-in-law and she was delighted seeing it. I was not getting what was happening then she told me about this veggie and cooked it for me, and I was very surprised with the taste of it; it was a veggie giving a feeling of meat. I fell in love with this veggie meat and quickly grasped the recipe for Jimikand curry. Now I am presenting you the same recipe which I have learned from my mother-in-law.
Yam is a very hard veggie which is cooked either by giving a boil or deep frying. I preferred deep frying to give it a more rich texture. There is a technique to cut the yam in pieces in which you have to apply some oil on hands and knife to keep away itching. Slice the yam and then peel the skin. If you wish, you can give it a boil followed by shallow fry. I have deep fried it directly without boiling.
Yam is consumed all over India in different forms; North Indians make curries out of it and in the Southern part of India yam is used to make Sambar.
Yam provides nutrients like potassium, vitamin B6, manganese, vitamin C and dietary fiber.
Let us check out the Jimikand Curry Recipe. Watch my other Jimikand recipes on YouTube channel with the same name ‘Food Stopper.’ You can also find my other recipes on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Let Me Provide You The List Of Ingredients required To Make Tasty Jimikand Curry Recipe:
- 2 Cup Yam Cubes (Jimikand)
- Oil For Frying
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds(Jeera)
- 1 Piece Star Anise (Chakra Ful)
- 3 Cloves (Laung)
- 2 Bay Leaves (Tej Patta)
- 3 to 4 Curry Leaves (Kadi Patta)
- 3 Green Chilies (Hari Mirch)
- ½ Tsp Asafetida (Hing)
- 1 Large Onion (Pyaz)
- 1 Tbsp Ginger-Garlic Paste (Adrak-Lehsun Paste)
- 1 Tsp Red Chili Powder (Lal Mirch Powder)
- 1 Tsp Turmeric Powder (Haldi Powder)
- 1 ½ Tsp Coriander Powder (Dhaniya Powder)
- 1 Tsp Cumin Powder (Jeera Powder)
- 1 ½ Cup Tomato Paste
- 1 Tsp Garam Masala Powder
- Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves (Hara Dhaniya)
- Salt To Taste
Jimikand Curry is a very simple but tasty recipe which can be made by following the step by step procedure which I have mentioned here:
- Take a pan and pour some oil for deep frying the yam cubes. Let the oil get hot and add two cups of yam cubes; deep fry the yam cubes till it turns golden brown. Keep the fried yam cubes aside, put the cubes on tissue paper to absorb the excess oil.
- Take another skillet pan and add one tbsp of oil; let the oil get hot and add one tsp of cumin seeds, sauté it to crack the seeds.
- Add one-star anise, three cloves, and two bay leaves; sauté it for half a minute.
- Add three to four Curry Leaves, three finely chopped green chilies, ½ tsp of asafetida, sauté it.
- Add onion paste made up of one large onion; Mix well and add one tbsp of ginger-garlic paste. Cook the onion till the oil oozes out; keep stirring.
- Add one tsp of red chili powder, one tsp of turmeric powder, 1 ½ tsp of coriander powder, one tsp of cumin powder, and some salt to taste. Sauté all the spices for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add 1 ½ cup of tomato paste, mix it with the spices and add fried yam cubes. Mix properly and add one cup of water. Close the lid and simmer it for 10 minutes.
- Open the lid, add one tsp of garam masala powder, sprinkle some finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Delicious Jimikand Curry is ready to serve with a sprinkle of fresh coriander leaves.
- Jimikand Curry goes well with roti, naan or paratha. Bon Appétit!