Besan Bhindi is a very simple, quick okra recipe with a crispy texture using very little of spices. Besan Bhindi is made in every corner of India, but we can find its roots in Rajasthan cuisine.
If you wish to make okra crispier, then you can deep fry okra instead of stirring it. Let us see how to make the tasty Besan Bhindi Recipe which can be served with simple Roti, Paratha or Dal-Chaval.
On a health note, Okra is very rich in dietary fibers, Vitamin C and Vitamin K, so it is good to have okra at least once in a week!
Besan Bhindi does not require any onion or any complimentary veggies so hey onion haters it’s an excellent choice to have okra in the meal. With minimal spices and a touch of gram flour gives okra a very different flavor.
Let Us Get To The List of The Ingredients of Besan Bhindi Recipe:
- 500 Grams Okra (Bhindi)
- 1 Tbsp Oil (Any Preferred Oil)
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1 Tsp Turmeric Powder (Haldi Powder)
- 1 Tsp Coriander Powder (Daniya Powder)
- 1 Tbsp Ginger-Garlic Paste (Adrak-Lehsun Paste)
- ¼ Cup Gram Flour (Besan)
- ¼ Teaspoon of Asafoetida (Hing)
- 1 Tsp Red Chili Powder (Lal Mirch Powder)
- 1 Tsp Dry Mango Powder (Aamchoor)
- 1 Tsp Garam Masala Powder
- Salt To Taste
- Coriander Leaves (Hara Dhaniya)
Stepwise Procedure To Make Tasty Besan Bhindi Is As Follows:
- Take a skillet pan; add one tbsp of oil (any preferred oil), let the oil get hot and add one tsp of cumin seeds to it. Sauté it for a minute to crack the cumin seeds.
- Add one tsp of turmeric powder, one tsp of coriander powder; sauté it for 15 seconds and add 1 tbsp of ginger-garlic paste. Sauté it for another one minute.
- Add ¼ cup of gram flour, ¼ tsp of asafetida and mix all spices with gram flour very well; care should be taken so that no lumps must form in the gram flour.
- Add 500 grams of fresh okra cut in half as shown in the picture. (Wash okra nicely, tap each drop of water from okra before cutting it in half. Any contents of water in okra may make okra sticky.)
- Mix okra well to give an even coat of spices and gram flour on each okra.
- Add one tsp of red chili powder, one tsp of dry mango powder, one tsp of garam masala powder; sauté it for about 5 minutes.
- Add salt to taste, mix well and let it simmer for approximately 10 minutes with closed lid. Stir occasionally to make sure okra cooks evenly and not getting burnt.
- Open the lid and delicious, tasty Besan Bhindi is ready to serve with a sprinkle of chopped fresh coriander leaves.
- Bon Appétit!
Video Recipe For The Besan Bhindi